Kimchi Chigae - Hot Kimchi and Tofu Stew (A recipe by Maangchi)
Kimchi stew is one of Koreans’ most favorite dishes all the year around. When you eat kimchi stew with rice, you won’t need any other side dishes. You can replace pork with a can of tuna or even 2 cans of tuna.
* 200 grams of Pork belly (about 1/2 pound)
* 4 or 5 cups of chopped kimchi
* 1 tbs sugar, 1 tsp of hot pepper flakes, 1 tbs hot pepper paste
* onion, green onions
* half a package of tofu
* sesame oil and water
Ok, let’s start!
1. In a shallow pot, put some chopped kimchi and juice.
2. Add sliced onion, hot pepper paste, and hot pepper flakes, sugar, and green onions.
3. Pour water until all ingredients are submerged.
4. Close the lid of the pot and boil it 25 or 30 minutes. (first 10 minutes will be high heat and then turn down heat)
5. Add some tofu and boil it 5 minutes more and put some sesame oil right before serving.
Watch Maangchi's video clip on how to prepare the classic Kimchi Chigae below. I love how she teaches us to make these Korean dishes all step by step without confusion. She's a great cook and teacher.
Thank You Maangchi!
Hands down the best Kimchi Chigae recipe I've tried! Our wonderful Maangchi walks us through her recipe listed below and her video.
Kimchi Chigae is a Kimchi stew that is often made with the remaining slightly souring Kimchi in the fridge. Of course, the freshest Kimchi can be used as well. The combination of Kimchi and tuna as a stew is perfect during the fall and really, all year round.
I discovered Kimchi Chigae in a tiny Korean restaurant during a very cold winter afternoon. I asked for my favorite Yukgaechang stew and was told they were out but could be served Kimchi Chigae. Not having tried it I agreed it would be a nice dinning adventure. They brought me a earthenware bowl bubbling with Kimchi, tuna, green onions, extra garlic, tofu, all with a bright red chili pepper paste color.
Years later, it is one of my favorites! Enjoy Maangchi's recipe below!
Love That Kimchi.com
A Site dedicated to Kimchi and Korean cuisine